Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I often feel like the older woman amongst the women of my running group.   Many are single or dating and most without children; a very dynamic group of beautiful women.  They are encouraging and supportive and just as lovely with no make up and sweaty as they are all dressed up for a night out. 

On a run a couple months ago as we were getting to know one another, I mentioned that it was my son's birthday and I was eager to get home for his party.  That was followed by a series of questions about my kid's ages and my interests.  A comment was made about how they think it is so great that I take the time to run with the group and still have time to be a  good mother.  My answer was simple.  I wouldn't be a good mother if I didn't have the running group. 

We hear it time and time again.  We must take care of ourselves so that we can take care of others.  There is nothing selfish in that statement.  NOTHING.  What kind of message do I send to my kids when I take care of myself first versus putting everyone and everything in front of me first?  Taking time out of my day for myself is essential to being that good mother I strive to be. 

Just like bad running days, I don't always have the best "mom moments".  But for every bad run, I've had at least 20 good runs.  I've run in thunderstorms where I thought I'd be knocked out by hail, in freezing temps where I've no sensation in my legs and in scorching temps where I've had to wring my shoes of sweat.  But then I've run next to Troy Aikman and crossed the finish line three times after 26.2 miles.  I've had the most peaceful and spiritual runs in the morning with the sun rising over the lake in the distance and undoubtedly been an inspiration to many mothers who may be considering a change in their lives.  I choose to put myself first not just today, but everyday and let those around me be the benefactors of my best self.



So Happy Mother's Day to me! 

INSANITY UPDATECardio recovery day for us.  Dare I say not too hard today?  I think this is a teaser for a crazy workout tomorrow.  I also discovered that Shaun T has a workout for young kids.  What a good mom I'd be to get this for my sweet pea!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails