Saturday, April 24, 2010

200 meters

This morning marked another Saturday full of nerves and anxious excitement.  My running group was running 200s at the track.  The mental challenge I face knowing what lies ahead for me is daunting.  With a little refocus within the past three weeks, I would have thought today would have been easier on my nerves.  But, just like the week's past, I couldn't escape the thoughts of dread I experienced on my drive to the track.

My group was the last to start our warm up and drills and if it were up to me, I would prefer to be running in the first group.  Watching the first three groups start running their 200s and seeing the agony on their faces worsen as each lap went by, caused the doubt to slowly creep back into my psyche.  I wanted to run really fast....to my car and never come back, but there was no backing out now and I somehow managed to convince myself to be ready.

I am extremely fortunate to have really great friends that I surround myself with in the running world. We not only encourage one another, but we all share one common goal - to give the best effort for which we are capable.  Along with encouraging energy, we all supported by a group of really tremendous motivators in the coaches we have. 

We toed the line and were off for our first of (20) 200 meters.  The first one is always undoubtedly too fast, and after a quick 100 meter recovery, I settled into a pace I felt I could endure 19 more times.  When I started to fade and my mind started to fill with doubt, my coach, who is lightening fast, slowed his pace to motivate and carry my through the pain.  Having someone who believed in me and encouraged me was exactly the fuel I needed.  By number 13, I was exhausted, but he didn't give up on me, shouting words of encouragement and tips on my technique.  It's no surprise that I finished number 19 and 20 at the same pace as my first 200m.  Thank you Peter!  I know I wouldn't have been able to do it without him.

We all need motivation and encouragement.  When you have someone who believes in you, it starts to make sense to believe in yourself.  For me, it's not about being the fastest, because I will never be, but it's about pushing through the adversity and overcoming doubt to become the person I am intended to be.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails