Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wholesome Dinner

I love Whole Foods.  Whenever I enter the store, I feel completely 'whole'some and that makes me happy.


I really could go on a crazy spending spree, buying up everything from gluten free waffles to stress-relieving breath mints. Without a list or definitive plan, the seductive pure naked coconut water will lure me its way and before I know it, I will succumb to the temptation of organic goodness.

I was on mission to make a healthy, protein packed vegetarian dinner tonight.  With that in mind, I made my way in and out quickly buying only the few items I needed to make a perfect salad for a HOT summer day like today.

This week's recipe is: Mediterranean Garbanzo Salad (compliments of Whole Foods of course)

Ingredients:
Makes one serving (you can easily double or triple)
5 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 small zucchini or yellow squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
½ (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinse and drained
2 Tbsp. roughly chopped parsley
1 Tbsp. prepared balsamic vinaigrette or Italian dressing
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Ground pepper to taste
2 or 3 lettuce leaves, torn into large bite size pieces


Toss together all ingredients, except lettuce, in a large bowl.  Arrange lettuce on a dinner plate and top with bean mixture.  Simple, wholesome, fresh!  Serve with some pita chips or whole grain crackers on the side and your meal is complete at less than 350 calories.

6 comments:

Ms. Understood said...

Bad thing is I have everything you have listed here and yet I still went to Taco Bell and got a Ranch taco salad . . . calorie count . . 910 . . . I didn't even know that til I checked for this comment. *sigh*

mdforkids said...

This looks delicious, thanks! I love Whole Foods too :)

Lula Lola said...

Looks good! I do eat seafood, but stick to vegetarian fare otherwise. This looks really good. I love garbanzo beans!

Unknown said...

I've been looking for a chickpea salad recipe for a party next Saturday. Thanks for this!

Rhonda said...

I realized I left out an important ingredient in the listing - kalamata olives! Enjoy!

Tracy said...

That looks really yummy! I'm going to have to cook up some of those chickpeas I have in the pantry!
Thanks... ~ Take Care

Related Posts with Thumbnails