Thursday, August 12, 2010

ACTs and Curious George

I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the school year as the summer comes to an end.  With fall on the horizon, school commencing is an exciting beginning for me, a fresh start and a new chapter into my life as a mother of a high school senior and first-grader.

The end of summer is a difficult pill to swallow to LulaLola, who's cherishing every last moment spent with her boys and for Dr. Mom, whose end of summer blues has her relishing in the anticipation of alone time often overlooked by many mothers of young children.

The start of a new school year is an exciting experience for me.  This year most likely will bring more joy and sadness than I've ever experienced.  The next nine months will involve a complete spectrum of challenges to my parental skills.  I'll try to somehow try to find a balance between the preparatory planning of a college-bound senior with the foundational structured learning of my first-grader.

This year has all the expectations to be a very memorable one.  I feel like I need to take a big...long...deep...breath.  I'm going to relish in every page of Keelan's final chapter as I eagerly open a brand new book for Jackson.

This school year means preparing for final ACT and SAT tests and college applications to Keelan and packing superhero backpacks and Star Wars lunch boxes to Jackson.

This school year means Friday nights packed with football and marching band to Keelan and Saturday afternoons packed with organized soccer chaos to Jackson.

This school year means taking Senior pictures and driving a my car to Keelan and drawing stick-figure self-portraits and riding a bicycle to Jackson.

This school year means girlfriends and break-ups and texting and talking on the phone all...night...long to Keelan and teacher crushes and boo-boos and calling Grandma on the weekend to Jackson.

This school year means planning for graduation to Keelan and learning to become a successful reader to Jackson.

This school year will be be an emotional roller coaster ride for me and prideful joyride to Ced.

I can't wait for school to start and to see my boys flourish.  I love to watch them together and to see how they learn from each other despite being 11 years apart in age.

Perhaps I'll learn more than anyone this school year. 




6 comments:

Sherri said...

Wow, you are living in two different worlds! My son is a senior this year too, but my daughter is in 7th grade! But we sure have a lot of ups and downs on the horizon with one heading off to college next fall, don't we?

DB said...

Nice post. What a positive outlook for the school year. I remember when the new year started at the beginning of a school year instead of January 1st. I'd wish you luck but I know the family will not only do well, but flourish.

Tracy said...

It's so hard at this time of year, I always have mixed feelings when the boys return to school. They are now in 4th grade and every year, I shed those tears as they had off for another year. Enjoy every moment! ~ Take Care

Unknown said...

First off, how handsome are they?! I think you have the right attitude for tackling the challenges of having two kids at opposite ends of the school spectrum. wish you all the best!

Lula Lola said...

I need to take a page out of your book and look forward to it! This is my first year without a kid at home, and it's really hitting me hard. I need to rearrange my attitude and look forward to new beginnings, rather than endings! Thanks for throwing a little sunshine my way!
And that picture is beautiful! I hope your beautiful boys have a wonderful year!

mdforkids said...

How exciting...so much going on for you this year Mama! Have fun and enjoy all these milestones:) You are going to have some great stories to tell, I can't wait :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails