Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hercules, Hercules, Hercules

Most people have a favorite movie.  The Nutty Professor is probably not it.

But I am not 'most people'.  I've watched this movie in the theater and in my college apartment, with my boyfriend and later with my husband, with my kids, by myself, on VHS, DVD, Cable, On-Demand, and from Blockbuster, Netflix and Red Box.  I love this movie!

What is it about Sherman Klump, aka Professor Klump that resonates so deeply within me?  Am I a fat man longing to be skinny, a brainiac who lacks confidence, a member of a family who has farting contests?

If you have never seen The Nutty Professor, you can stop here.  Or better yet, go rent it, and then check back in.  It is sure to please.

I think one of the reasons that I love this movie is because the fat guy is the hero of the movie.  His character is someone we can all connect with in some way.  His family has adopted horribly unhealthy and tactless habits over the years and Sherman is no longer willing to succumb to living the rest of his life overweight, single and unhappy.

He's got his eyes on the pretty girl, aptly name Ms. Purdy and he's determined to turn his life around to make her notice him.

Oh Sherman Sherman Sherman! 

He's tried diets, acupuncture, TV workouts, even aerobic classes and NOTHING works. 

Sulking, eating donuts to comfort his pain, and desperately longing to be skinny, Sherman gets motivated late night by watching a Richard Simmons-like infomercial.

Yes. I. Can.   Yes. I. CAN.   YES I CAN!


He rushes in the middle of the night to the lab at the college he teaches to test the skinny potion he has developed. After discovering its direct effects with rats, he takes the formula for himself and POOF, he becomes skinny! If only it could be that simple!

Life INSTANTLY changes for Sherman.  The shy and insecure Sherman who struggled with self-confidence on a date with Ms. Purdy has quickly turned into an obnoxious, over-zealous, ego-maniac.  He drives fancy sports cars, talks badly about people, treats everyone horribly and LOVES himself.

Naturally, no one likes the new guy in town, aka Buddy Love.  They miss the old Sherman.

Just like any fad diet or magic pill, Sherman's magic potion wears off at the most inopportune time.  Nothing is more humbly than having to be pealed out from a Maserati with the Jaws of Life because you got stuck inside.

Throughout the entire movie, I'm cheering for Sherman Klump.  I want him to succeed.  I want him to lose the weight. 


But he proves there is no magic formula for getting thin.  There are no successful fad diets or gimmicks. 

Oh but wouldn't that Be so Great?  Great. Great. Great. Great. Great.


This post inspired by Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. 

What was it about that movie? Describe A movie you once had memorized.


Mama's Losin' It

10 comments:

Tanya said...

The Nutty Professor is a great movie! I now feel the need to watch it with my 8 year old. Thanks for reminding me of it. Stopping by from Mama Kats!

Julia Ladewski said...

this IS a great movie. eddie is so funny and his ability to play multiple roles is amazing! great pick!

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from Mama Kat's. Yes, a magic pill would be great. It's too dang much work otherwise! LOL

jhsleppy@msn.com said...

Hi - Stopping by from Writer's Workshop...

I LOVE this movie too! But I have a juvenile sense of humor so the dinner scene cracks me up every time!

Great movie and great description of why you love it!

Andrea @multiplemama said...

Love that line. I used to chant it all the time. Don't know why but it cracks me up.

Meant to be Mom said...

Too funny! Love your honesty- I am now following :-)

Sherri said...

I love that you chose this movie! Of COURSE Motivation Mama would love it! It is a funny movie, and I love Eddie Murphy.

Booyah's Momma said...

Great movie! He played Sherman pretty well, but the dirty ol' grandma has got to be my favorite. She/he just cracked me up!

DB said...

Her-ca-lees
Her-ca-lees
Her-ca-lees
Too funny!

Anonymous said...

What a great movie :) Our family watches this one a lot!

Related Posts with Thumbnails