Saturday, November 20, 2010

Seek the Message

Whenever I make a mistake or when things don't necessarily go as planned, I always try to seek out the message or lesson I'm supposed to learn.  I made a mistake today and I am searching frantically for the message.

This morning was my final group run before my marathon in two weeks (YIKES) and I was looking forward to a nice easy 12-mile run.  One last hurrah around the lake with my friends before we meet up again on race day.  Yes, 12 miles does seem easy after you run 22.

I did all my familiar Friday preparations, including sending an email to my running group stating how excited I was for our final run together.  I had my usually glass of Pinot Grigio, as is standard for a Friday night.  I set my alarm for 3:45 a.m. and switched it to weekend mode and I read my ten pages after crawling into bed.  Then lights out.

The next thing I saw was a clock that read 5:53.  I never liked math story problems, but I do know that if I have a
35-minute drive to the lake and the run starts at 6:00 a.m., I am equal to screwed!  Don't think I didn't for a split second try to come up with Plan B.  Unfortunately Plan Z wouldn't have gotten me there on time!

So I surrendered.  I got up, I had my coffee, peanut butter waffle, dressed  and prepared for a run around my neighborhood.  No excuses. 

I found some last minute friends that are always willing to keep my on pace and help me stay motivated.  We ran together and it wasn't the same as the group atmosphere and not as scenic as running around the lake, but we managed.  They never complain and seemed even 'charged' up for the run.


So what is the message?  I'm still not completely clear, however, I think three things stand out for me.

1.  Rest.  I've done the physical training.  I'm ready.  In order to hit that 3:45 marathon goal, I must focus now more on resting and recovering rather than pushing myself any harder. 

2.  Friendships. It's not just about running.  It's about camaraderie, accountability, laughter, health and community.  I missed that today and coincidentally running an easy 12 miles was very difficult.

3.  Forgiveness.  When I make a small mistake, rather than make an excuse, I own it and forgive myself, I seek alternatives and move on with my day.

If you make a mistake today, seek the message and you'll be better for it.


Have you heard about my Giveaway?  Click below to enter!

Photobucket

3 comments:

jillconyers said...

A situation well handled Rhonda. Just as I would have expected from you :)

Sometimes I wish the message was a little more clear LOL I remember considering 12 miles an easy run. If you think about it that is truly amazing.

Just 2 weeks! You must be so excited. Maybe a little bit nervous too?

Sherri said...

Oh, you are so right! I can't believe it's already only two weeks away!! How exciting, and I can't wait to hear all about it.

Keep it up! You are inspiring!

Jill said...

At least you did it. You had a plan B! I think I need more running friends. I would never have found another group who could run 12. When is the big day?

Related Posts with Thumbnails