Monday, November 22, 2010

Holiday Cards

What did I get myself into again?  Each year at this time, I start to feel the pressure.  I get a lot of anxiety to outdo myself from last year's performance.  People and friends have come to expect it from me each year.  I set the bar high for myself and now I have to deliver.

I wish I was talking about running a marathon, but it's the annual Layton Holiday Card that causes me stress every year.

It all started out ten years ago, when we decided to be funny and did this caricature. It was funny alright especially since I turned out looking twice the size as my boys.

 
 Then we tried to be cute with our dog, but unless you look closely, you don't even notice our lab.  And what is up with my hair?


In 2003, I was WAY pregnant and I preferred to show just my belly rather than my face.


 This is one of my all-time favorites! It was the year my sister's family came to visit us for Thanksgiving and took our family picture with the newest addition to our family.


We shared our Texas love in 2005...


 ...and represented Dallas sports in 2006.


Perhaps my most creative card was our Avatar Poem in 2007.  This one got rave reviews!


In 2008, I thought it was would be a GREAT IDEA to do a pop-up card.  I can't exactly show it here, but after spending nearly 40 hours on cutting, clueing and popping up our little elf family, I don't think I EVER want to see that card again.  I received the most favorable response from this one, but I will NEVER do that again!

Last year, I decided to let someone do the work for us. I finally got smart and had a photographer take our family picture and I have decided from now on, this is the way to go!




I plan to use Shutterfly for making our creative holiday cards this year.  I can upload my pictures and make really cool collages that look very professional as though I did a lot of work! They have really cool templates that help save time so I can spend it on more important things...like blogging or training for a marathon!  Now, I just have to find time to take a family picture!

I'm a big fan of black and white photography and collages so I've narrowed my template choices down to these three designs.  What do you think?   I'm so glad pop-up is not an option!




Take the guess work out of your cards this season and try Shutterfly!  As part of this post, I received 50 free holiday cards!


Don't forget my November giveaway!  Check it out here!


Photobucket


10 comments:

Mrs. K said...

Wow. I love love love all your Christmas cards of the past. How fun. You have such a beautiful family. I think all your card ideas are great for this year. I prefer the "Keep Believing." Not only is it a nice lay out but I think it says so much about you and what you do to motivate others. Good luck!

DB said...

I love seeing all the past cards. Which one do you like the best? I think Chartreuse is the best and Keep Believing is the worst.

Sandra said...

You definitely have some terrific Christmas card ideas! And you're all so gorgeous...sudden feelings of inadequacy plaguing me and my family. There's no way we would turn out like that if you factor in one buck-toothed child, one with crooked glasses, a husband who frowns, and a teenager who keeps looking down at his cell phone...yea, you pretty much rule!

Anonymous said...

All three of your choices for this years card are fabulous ! Tough decision to make ! You past holiday cards are very cool ~~~ Can't wait to see which one you go with :)

cathy said...

Your creativity constantly amazes me. I must admit though... my favorite is the one where Jackson is a baby. I haven't seen that one before, and he is a doll. I know I don't have to tell you, but you are blessed with two great kids!!!

Jill said...

Rhonda, your family is beautiful!! I decided to become a coach too! I just signed up today! So I guess I can't enter the contest :( Have a great holiday and look forward to keeping in touch! Jill

Booyah's Momma said...

That fourth picture down is so beautiful. What a gorgeous family you have!

But I have to say, my favorite is the football one. I think you might be my soul sister... I have a pink football jersey that I wore for our Christmas card pic a few years back. Mine was the Colts, of course. But I still like your style.

Meant to be Mom said...

I am officially obsessed with shutterfly! I have been up late every night this week perfecting holiday gifts for everyone with their customized calendars, photo books and now holiday cards! I love this post!!

Liz said...

i really love your most recent photo. though the belly sticking out is cute, too!

Sherri said...

I love, love the latest one the best! Although they are all very creative and cute....and love the belly sticking out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails