Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Special Brownies

All food can be healthy  I decided once a week I am going to share my experiences with making healthy AND tasty recipes.  It will give me the opportunity to show you how I can make really yummy and delicious food using healthy alternatives.

Today is:  *My Special Brownies (not that kind of special!)

Nonstick cooking spray
3 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 c. carrot puree
1/2 c. spinach puree
1/2 c. firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. trans-fat free soft tub margarine spread
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup oat flour, (or all-purpose flour)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Peel carrots and trim ends, steam for about 10-12 minutes, then puree in a food processor for about 2 minutes. 

Wash thoroughly and trim ends of spinach.  Steam for about 30 seconds, then puree in a food processor for about 2 minutes.


 



Reserve 1/2 cup of both purees.

In a large bowl, combine melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.


Whisk in  egg whites.  Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon. (Can someone explain this one to me?)




 Pour the batter into a pan (or two) and bake 35 to 40 minutes.



Cool completely (if you have patience). Otherwise tear 'em up while they are warm!


Then, have your child try them, WITHOUT telling him the secret ingredients.


Have him give you his HONEST opinon.


SUCCESS!

This is the second time I've made these and this time they turned out perfect.  I actually didn't completely puree the carrots and they were still a little chunky and I LOVED it this way.  Just my personal opinion. I loved them so much, I ate two and I usually have a lot more self-control!

If you have any alternative or healthy recipes you're dying to try, send them my way and I woud love to be the guinea pig to test them!

I give these brownies a HUGE thumbs up!

*Recipe is courtesy of cookbook.homestead.org


9 comments:

mdforkids said...

Oh wow! I've got to try these on my picky little eaters! Thanks!

jillconyers said...

Brownies are an all time favorite that I rarely indulge in for obvious reasons. So, I'm definitely trying this recipe!

Lula Lola said...

I love sneaking veggies in! This is a great idea!

getbusyliving said...

I want one of those right now! I was able to try them on your first go around and YUM. I think i had 2-3.

Rhonda said...

A key point I forgot to add. Each brownie is 130 calories and has 3 grams of fiber. Bonus!

cathy said...

They are yummy! Thanks for sharing with your work buddies!!! :)

Roxane said...

Okay, I have to admit that even though I have never EVER tried them, when I read the title my mind immediately went in an unacceptable direction! Ha Ha!

This recipe looks incredible. And I'm all about brownies, just not so much the making them part. Send me some?

KLZ said...

Oooooh! Please send some of these to me? Please?

Amy J said...

Sounds like a great way to sneak in some veggies! I've also heard of using baby food if you don't have time to puree...

Related Posts with Thumbnails